How to learn New Apps:
- When it’s not expressly required
- By exploring making mistakes and solving them:
- solving by questioning / Forums / youtube
- If you don’t learn it and make it do what you want you’re no longer a designer.
- Designs become program standards.
Vector creating, editing and design software.
Vector vs Raster.
Inkscape uses the .svg filetype this stands for Scalable Vector Graphic.
Intention to use this software for laser cutting… laser cutter follows vector paths (can do photos but only as scans/etches)
Tools left side
Dockers right side
Menu bar at top
Basic toolbars / docks required.
Controlling whats seen and how stacked
Align and Distribute
Aligning and distributing items
Fill and Stroke
Fill, stroke and properties
- Trace bitmap.
- Save as .dxf (remove splines) [Splines aren’t always a problem but they can be]
- select > Extensions > Modify path > flatten beziers (select flatness / steps)
- File > Save a copy > .dxf
- no Robo. no Poly
- Base unit = mm
- open in Laser software.
official inksacpe home
official inskcape tutorials
comprehensive getting started guide
Makerspaces own intro to vectors
*Jono James 2015